Tiger stripes, lightning stripes, stretchies; we’ve seen a bunch of cute names for stretch marks pop up over recent years, and we love how they normalise this incredibly common skin occurrence. Between 50-90% of women have them (and yes, men can get them too) so we reckon it’s high time they stopped being something to hide, and start being something we accept.
Health-wise, stretch marks are totally harmless, too. But we get it – sometimes people can feel self-conscious about the way stretch marks look and want to reduce their appearance. If that’s you, read on…
What causes stretch marks?
Stretch marks show up where skin has been stretched beyond its limit due to weight fluctuations. It’s a sign that the fine layer of dermis has torn, and healed itself with a fine scar.
Perhaps you’ll notice them during a period of weight gain, or due to one of these factors.
- Pregnancy. If there’s anything that stretches the body (and mind) beyond the limits, it’s having kids! During pregnancy, the skin on your abdomen, hips, and thighs must stretch significantly to accommodate a growing child – cue, stretch marks.
- Puberty. Stretch marks are more common during the teenage years, especially if you grow or develop during a short window of time.
- Genes. Your genes also play a role, with some people’s skin being just naturally more prone to collecting ‘lightning stripes’.
How to get rid of stretch marks
Stretch marks are part of the wear and tear of life, so there’s no “cure” as such, but there are certainly ways to help them fade faster. These include…
- Staying hydrated: Add ‘stretch mark healing’ to the long list of reasons why you should be drinking plenty of water. Good old H2O keeps your skin hydrated and plump, reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
- Eat a balanced diet: Eating a diet rich in vitamins A, C, and E, as well as zinc and silica, can really help your skin stay healthy.
- If natural methods aren’t enough, professional treatments like laser therapy, microdermabrasion, or chemical peels also exist – although they’re expensive and come with inherent risks including pain and even (in rare cases) scarring and infection.
Now, here’s our favourite method….
Apply La Tropica Body Serum to fight stretch marks
Developed to combat the damage of harsh sun exposure, La Tropica Body Serum is formulated to protect and fortify skin that has gone through some big changes, such as the skin stretching changes we might see in pregnancy or puberty. This is what makes this hemp body moisturiser so efficacious in fading surface level scars such as stretch marks.
What’s in the magic formula, you ask? The La Tropica Body Serum has a base of soothing Aloe Vera, which contains a high level of natural antioxidants and has powerful inflammatory properties. It’s also used to soothe burns (including sunburn) and irritated skin, so you know it’s gentle and refreshing for all skin types.
Of course, the star of the show is our holy grail ingredient, raw unfiltered Hemp Seed Oil. It has the capacity to speed up cell recovery, and is also known to increase the production of collagen, which strengthens skin and improves elasticity. Hemp Seed Oil is also a rich source of Chlorophyll which is great for soothing skin irritation and dryness. When your skin is properly moisturised and nourished, you’re not only treating current stretch marks. You’re also maximising your skin’s ability to stretch by improving elasticity which means you’re preventing future stretch marks before they even occur!
However, be patient, and don’t expect overnight results. Be consistent in applying the body serum over your stretch marks daily and you’ll notice improvements over time. Your skin will need a bit of TLC before it can begin repairing the signs of damage, especially if they’re stretch marks you’ve had for years.
Some application tips!
Massage: Massaging La Tropica Body Serum stretch mark affected areas feels great, plus improves circulation and promotes healing.
Exfoliate before applying: Regular exfoliation can help remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover so stretch marks fade faster. If you exfoliate before applying your serum to slightly damp skin, the product can penetrate your skin’s surface more effectively.
So go ahead and indulge in this sublime smelling and dermis-hugging body serum, and feel refreshed and confident to rock the skin you’re in!